Hearing Aid Grants in The UK

United Kingdom Hearing Aid Funding

There are several forms of funding available for eligible people to acquire hearing aids and ancillary equipment privately including the Veterans Hearing Fund. In essence, the funds have been set up because the UK government understands that for certain people private market hearing aids and wireless accessories are needed. Below you will find an overview of the different funding schemes and how they are run. 

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Student' Allowance is a fund to ensure that people with disabilities can have full access higher education. A higher education student living in England can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if they have a disability, including a:

  • Long-term health condition
  • Mental health condition
  • Specific learning difficulty

Hearing Loss

Hearing loss is recognised as a long-term health condition that affects the ability to learn. Therefore any student with hearing loss can access the allowance.

Paid On Top Of Student Finance

DSAs are separate to and paid on top of other student finance and they can help pay the extra cost that a student incurs because of their disability. You apply for a DSA through Student Finance England. There are different forms depending on whether you are also applying for other Student Finance.

The forms can be downloaded at https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/how-to-claim. You can also give us a call on 01455 234 600 or contact us online for advice and help on both the student allowance and the equipment it can cover. 

Contact Us

British Legion Veterans Hearing Fund

The British Legion Veterans Hearing Fund was set up to ensure that UK Veterans had full access to the hearing aid equipment and hearing care that they need. The Royal British Legion’s Veterans Medical Funds programme is funded through a five year, £13m commitment from HM Treasury using income generated from the Libor rate-fixing fines. The Veterans Hearing Fund is one of two schemes funded by the commitment. 

Accessing The Veterans Hearing Fund

To apply for the Veterans Hearing Fund you must be serving, or have served, in the Armed Forces.  The Veterans Hearing Fund (VHF) provides support to veterans who acquired hearing loss during Service. It is open to those who have a wellbeing need that cannot be met through statutory services (such as the NHS).

The VHF may fund hearing aids, peripherals (accessories) or therapies (e.g., lip reading). In order for the Legion to determine whether a hearing loss was acquired during Service, veterans who would like to apply to the programme must submit the following documents:

  • A copy of their Service medical records, which must include audiometry data.
  • VMF eligibility form (PDF)

You can contact our friends at UK Veterans Hearing Help and they can help you with the process. They have a fuller explanation of the process for applying for the Veterans Hearing Fund here

Access To Work

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • start working
  • stay in work
  • move into self-employment or start a business

The grant is not for business start-up costs. How much you get depends on your circumstances. The money doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits. To get an Access to Work grant you must:

have a disability, health condition or mental health condition that affects your ability to work

be 16 or over live in England, Scotland or Wales - there’s a different system in Northern Ireland

One of the following must apply:

  • you have a paid job
  • you’re self-employed
  • you have a job interview
  • you’re about to start a job or work trial
  • you’re starting work experience

You can’t get a grant for voluntary work. The employer has to be in England, Scotland or Wales. Your condition Your disability or health condition must either: affect your ability to do a job mean you have to pay work-related costs, for example, special computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport It must also either: be likely to last at least a year have lasted at least a year already. 

You can also give us a call on 01455 234 600 or contact us online for advice and help on both the student allowance and the equipment it can cover.